Would you like to take on a voluntary staff role with one of the largest primate sanctuaries in the world?
We are seeking dedicated, positive and friendly characters to take on the voluntary staff roles of ‘ Primate Carers’. These voluntary positions are for a minimum of 2 – 3 years with a view to a longer term position.
In our primate careers, we want people:
- With at least two years work experience
- Has excellent organisational and people skills, is self motivated and confident in working on their own initiative towards the Foundation’s goals and objectives
- Willing to adopt a vegan lifestyle whilst at the Foundation
- A qualification or experience in wildlife rehab or animal care is preferable
- Monitoring the health of all monkeys in your area daily
- Checking all monkeys have food and water, cages are clean and see that all their needs are met
- Observations of behavior of monkeys within your area to collect data for troop integrations etc.
- Enrichment of cages
- De-worming monkeys in your area, possibly administering medications to them
- Training and supervising new volunteers on a daily basis to help look after your area of responsibility. (This includes before having a day off to ensure your area is covered)
- Sharing your knowledge with other volunteers and being friendly towards them
- Attending volunteer meetings on Wednesday evenings at 6pm and participate where necessary
- Attend staff meetings and participate where necessary.
- Fundraising projects – are an essential ongoing need of the foundation and we expect long term staff to participate regularly to help with funding.
- Take on other responsibilities to help the centre with funding and progression for the monkeys and the volunteers.
- Write articles for newsletter with updates on your areas.
- Attend & participate in regular volunteer and staff meetings
Integration voluntary staff – We are also looking for integration staff to rehabilitate monkeys into social groups, This position requires patience and a good understanding of vervet behavior. The ability to recognize vervet monkeys individually is also important to be able to observe troop dynamics (training will be given). This position will also assist in other aspects of the foundation but will be primarily working on integrating vervets into enclosures.
In taking on these voluntary staff roles, we will provide basic cabin accommodation and vegan meals.
If you are interested in any of these opportunities, please e-mail your CV with a covering letter to the following: Josie du Toit – email@example.com